Masters in Economics

Frequently Asked Questions


Admissions criteria

Back to Top


Who can apply to Nova Masters?

Nova SBE Masters are open to candidates from any Bachelor program. They must have an undergraduate degree equivalent to a Bachelor's degree.

Do I need to have prior professional experience?

Professional experience is NOT a requirement to be admitted to a Nova Masters. Applicants with over 2 years’ professional experience should consider applying for an MBA.

Is there an age limit?

Yes. Students must be under 26 years old.

What is the difference between a Nova Masters program and an MBA?

Our Masters programs are pre-experience, for students with less than 2 years of professional experience and under 26 years old. This means that the program is a continuation of undergraduate studies, preparing students for the work market with the help of the Career Management Office and with a class of students averaging 21/22 years old.

The Lisbon MBA is aimed at professionals with at least 3 years of professional experience (full-time). MBAs are for graduates from any discipline who want to receive in-depth managerial training.

More info about The Lisbon MBA

Admissions process

Back to Top

When can I apply?

Applications for the Masters Program usually run from February to May, except for the Double Degree (February to March).

How do I apply?

If you are interested in studying a Masters at Nova School of Business and Economics, follow these simple steps:

  1. Click here:
  2. Complete the online application form
  3. If necessary, a Skype interview will be requested
  4. You will receive an answer by email within a maximum of 6 weeks of your application submission

Do I have to pay to apply?

Yes, you will be requested to pay an enrolment fee of €51.

Do I have to pay to enrol?

Yes, you will be requested to pay a non-refundable enrolment fee of €1000 for the Masters in Management/Economics/Finance. Enrolment in the International Programs (Double Degree and CEMS MIM programs) becomes effective after the payment of an additional €1500 non-refundable fee, to be deducted from the total tuition fee.

How do I pay the Tuition Fees?

The tuition fees are charged in identical instalments per semester, except for the first one because the enrolment fee will be deducted from the first instalment. The first instalment will be due on 15 July, 2017. The remaining two instalments will be due on 15 February and 15 September 2018, respectively.

Do I need an official transcript of records to apply?

If you have not yet finished your undergraduate studies you do not need the official transcript. However, if accepted, you will need to deliver it to the Masters Office no later than the beginning of the program.

What is the minimum GPA for admission?

We have no established minimum GPA and do not admit by GPA alone. We conduct a full review of all applications, in which GPA is one of many several factors in your CV.

I did not complete one undergraduate course. Can I apply anyway?

Yes you can, but you will have to finish this course during the first semester of your Masters.

Do I need GMAT or GRE to apply?

No, the GMAT or GRE are not necessary. However if you have taken the test you can add the results as an additional document to your application.

Do I need an English certificate to apply?

No, proof of English proficiency is not mandatory but candidates are encouraged to provide evidence of English language proficiency at level B2. For CEMS MIM candidates, advanced level English language proficiency is required. Check for details.

How do I withdraw?

Students wishing to postpone or withdraw from the degree program are require to send a confirmation by email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. by 29th June 2018. After this date, students may be held accountable for paying any tuition and fees associated to the program.

If I am accepted, may I defer my admission?

Please note that students who defer their admission will be subject to the tuitions in place at that time.

How do I request an invoice for a third party that is responsible for my tuition fee payments?

All invoices are addressed to the student unless the student specifically states that a different entity is responsible for the tuition fee payments, either in part or in full. For instance, a student may have obtained a sponsorship or scholarship from a particular company or organisation. In this case, the School needs to prepare the respective invoices accordingly. Receipts made out to a third party must be communicated at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Can I transfer from my Masters to a Masters at Nova?

No, transfers at Masters level are not accepted.


Back to Top

Is the program taught in English?

Yes, all Nova Masters are entirely taught in English, including class work, exams, and support materials and the work projects.

Do I need to speak Portuguese?

No, Portuguese language knowledge is not required to be admitted.

Can I study Portuguese during the program?

Nova SBE offers basic level Portuguese language courses.

Online application

Back to Top

What should I do if questions come up while completing the online application form?

Check the Online Application Instructions available on the application form page. If you have any further questions, please contact the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

I cannot upload a document. What should I do?

Add only one PDF per section (max. 1 MB per file). Please note that Zip files will not be accepted. The maximum filename length is 65 characters. If the problem persists, please contact the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Can I change my application or add any documents after submission?

No. After you submit your application, you may no longer change your record, but you will still be able to log in to view your submitted application.


Back to Top

Can I apply for the CEMS MIM by itself?

No, you cannot. The CEMS MIM is a joint program in conjunction with one of the Nova Masters.

Do I need to be admitted in one of the Nova Masters to apply for the CEMS MIM?

No, you apply for the CEMS MIM program at the same time as you apply for the Nova Masters. You will need to submit two applications forms: the Nova Application Form and the CEMS MIM Application Form available at, under “Portugal”. However, you will only be called for CEMS MIM assessment once admitted to a Nova Masters.

What are the language requirements for the CEMS MIM?

For non-native English speakers, advanced English language proficiency is required. You will need one of the following certificates:

  • TOEFL iBT minimum score –100
  • IELTS minimum score – 7.0
  • CPE minimum grade of C
  • CAE minimum grade of B
  • BEC Higher minimum grade of B
  • Have passed one of the CEMS-accredited local English exams
  • A-level GCSE issued in Singapore
  • University degree taught entirely in English and validated by the CEMS Office

If I start the Masters in February, when can I start the CEMS MIM?

Those entering in February of a given year can only start the MIM year in September of the following year, leaving a gap semester in which you can do, for example, the international internship.

To whom can I ask specific questions on the CEMS MIM?

You can send an This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

International tracks

Back to Top

I’m interested in one of Nova’s international tracks. When do I apply?

Applications for international tracks are made at the same time as the regular Masters application. Please keep in mind that at this stage we will only ask if you are interested in one of our international tracks. After admission to Nova, the selection processes for an Exchange, Double Degree, and CEMS MIM.

When can I go on Exchange?

On your third semester. In addition to the regular program, the exchange program requires an additional semester.